Saturday, August 21, 2010

Why Tri?

'Michelle, why are you doing triathlons?'  My answer is simple 'Why not?!' 


 I have fallen in love with the sport of triathlon and its wonderful.  Plus I'm using this new wonderful sport to lose weight.  I am not the type of person who can commit to video workout, spending long hours in the gym, oh commit to workout programs that bore me.  I enjoy being outside, I enjoy swimming, cycling and running, so why not do them all at the same time.

Now granted the sexy skin tight lycra is something less to be desired with someone who is on the heavier side, but whatever, I'm out there doing something that I am throughly enjoying.  I have found a sport that I love and can take with me where ever my husband may move us too.


Using the sport of triathlon to lose weight almost seem counterproductive.  What do I mean?  With the amount of food one has to intake when taking up a endurance sport would make any person who is trying to lose weight make them go hmmm.

The biggest problem right now, well really there are two.  The first problem is this nagging foot injury, plantar fasciitis to be exact.  The second problem, highly related to the first, I can't run. Funny thing is I was learning to run when I developed this injury and now I have redeveloped my love for swimming and cycling.

The thing that needs to happen next is I'm waiting for the weight to fall off.  With all of the swimming, cycling, weight training and yoga I'm doing I am expecting to see results, hopefully, in no time flat.  I have a crazy race schedule already set up here in Guam before we leave for Rhode Island.  I know as sure as I type this that when we get back to the states its going to be winter so I'm going to have to jump right into my off season training.  Its going to be weird have an actual season.  I'm blessed here in Guam to train all year along, but it is going to be a shocker to know I'm back into seasons.  But the BEST part of having 'season' is actual SEASONS!! It has been 4 years since I've seen fall, winter, and spring...SO EXCITED.  But more about that later

1 comment:

Samantha said...

I honestly do NOT miss the seasons and am happy with year round summer. It's just not conducive to my running since I'm so asthmatic. You might find you really enjoy training in the winter. Some of my favorite marathon training long runs were in a foot of snow with negative temps....of course that can hinder cycling a bit. LOL Get thee a mag trainer.

And I love your reason..."Why not?!"