Monday, September 13, 2010

I have to let go of the controlling things

My [physical] therapist told me I needed to break up with my [motion] controlling shoes.  So I went out and grabbed  some that would treat me right, some stable[ity] shoes.  I am now running in ASICS GEL- Kayano 16.


Sounds weird right, a little bit, but since battling plantar fasciitis I started wearing motion control shoes.  Well after 2 months of physical therapy, that has been quite successful, I have come to many many realizations.  1) I do not need motion control shoes for my feet, it actually did more harm than good.  2) I know how to swallow my pride and apologize to my physical therapist and tell her that I am sorry.  The back story on that is a good one.
So one day during one of my appointments I had asked my physical therapist if/when I would ever be able to run.  She told me that the day I can wake up in the morning without any pain in my feet then I can start training.  I told her that it would never happen, I would never wake up with out pain in my feet.  Well needless to say 7 days after that happen, I woke up, hopped out of bed, and my feet didn't hurt.  I thought OK maybe this is just a fluke.  Well, I was able to get up without pain for about a week and come my next appointment I had to apologize to my physical therapist.  She thought it was funny, but she LOVED the fact that we have made such wonderful progress in our therapy sessions.  We had a good laugh over it.
Good times, hopefully this will mean a more stable relationship between me and my feet :)

2 comments:

Corey said...

Hey Michelle,

Funny you talk about the different types of shoes. I was just reading this article, that you may like.

http://www.runblogger.com/2010/07/pronation-control-paradgim-is-starting.html

Yeah, I just had that same convo with my Physical Therapist. She told me the same thing about no pain, and I responded like you did :)

Samantha said...

I'm so glad to hear the PF is under control. I know that while running isn't your main love, you want to get into tri's. This sunday is your day baby!

Who is your PT? I'm looking to go to someone about an imbalance in my hips.