Saturday, September 18, 2010

Ankle Update

Since my crash I've been to medical to see the doctor to find out the verdict.  I made an appointment for my daughter, on Friday, who has been feeling sick and was having difficultly breathing but they could not make one for me.  I told my husband that after her appointment I would go to the ER and get it looked at cause I was not able to walk on my foot at all.  After hobbling into medical to check in my daughter the corpsman were asking if I was alright.  I told them about what happen, they offered me a wheelchair but my stubborn bull-headed side refused it.  I continued to hobble around medical while I noticed that the corpsman were keeping a watchful eye on me.  I think they told the doctor about my injury because after he diagnosed my daughter and started her nebulizer treatment he looked at my foot and had me 'walked' through the system.  After getting me checked in he ordered a set of x-rays I was ordered into a wheelchair, and again I refused to go into it.  But between my husband and the corpsmen, my happy ass was getting in the wheelchair wither I wanted to or not.  One of the corpsmen wheeled me down to x-ray to get those done and then back to where my daughter was.  Then I received the wonderful news that my ankle was not broken...YIPPEE!! But the doctor did say it is a severe sprained ankle with some ligament damage.  Of course I knew the answer, but I still had to ask if I could race in the Super Sprint on Sunday, yeah my husband and my doctor both looked at me like I was crazy and told me NO!  Hey, at least I tried.


Now I have to go back to my physical therapist to get my range of mobility built back up and to re-strengthen my muscles and ligaments.   I'm now seeing this as another set back in my training.  BLAH!  I have a Grade 2 sprain which is: 

    • Moderate tearing of the ligament fibers.
    • Some instability of the joint.
    • Moderate to severe pain and difficulty walking.
    • Swelling and stiffness in the ankle joint.
    • Minor bruising may be evident.
And looks wonderful and a lot like this (at least mine does):

My right foot is the one I sprained, yeah I guess its a give away
seeing as its twice the size of my left foot :)

I did a good job with one (outside of my right foot)

I have lost my ankle bone all together from the swelling

The inside of my right ankle

Now I'm looking at 4-8 week recovery time, assuming everything goes well with my physical therapist on Monday I'm hoping for the shorter of the recovery time.  I just need to get back on my bike, its looking quite pitiful sitting here in my house I didn't even have it 24 hours before crashing.  I'm sure I will have more accidents while learning how to clip in and out and while learning more about the mechanics of my cycling.  I will get the hang of it soon.

1 comment:

Samantha said...

You WILL get the hang of it. Just take the time to heal. You already have a working relationship with your PT which is good in this case! Stay strong!