Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Safe Running Tips

Cause we all need to be reminded every once and while.

For those of you who are new to running here are some running safety tips.

1. RUN AGAINST TRAFFIC! That is, on the left side for us right-side-of-the-road driving countries.
If you are running in the same direction as traffic, cars will come up on you from behind. You can't see whether or not they're going to move out of the way. When you run opposite traffic, you have a chance to get out of the way if drivers don't see you

2. Wear bright colors: to draw attention to you. neon yellow, bright red, safety green, and reflective clothing

3. Keep your head up: look a head of you and pay attention to your surroundings.

4. Stop at intersections: Stop & look at intersections. Drivers are not expecting you to run out.

5. Don't run threw a red light : Wait. those wanting to "beat" the light will do so with not thinking about anything other than "beating" the light.

6. Run single file when running in a group - particularly in high traffic areas.

7. Avoid running alone in isolated areas - vary your route.

8. Run defensively: Have a game plan if a dog comes at you or if you get approached or attacked.

9. Don't argue or gesture ate people driving. (This might be common since but I've seen it done)

10. Have a Road Id on you. (I keep one on my shoe)

11. Let someone know where you are going and when you'll be back.

12. Take a cell phone. ( I won't tell you were I keep that HAHAH=-)

I personally run with a flashing light attached to my shirt collar (day or night), and clothes that are reflective. It is well worth the money for my safety. However that doesn't guarantee the drivers will see me. I have to pay attention and look for them.

What are some things you do or don't do to run safe?

Be safe and have fun running!

No comments: