Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Plantar Faciitis

I have plantar fasciitis and while doing some research on how to treat and recover from I keep coming across a re-accuring theme: overweight, lose weight to treat. Well I can understand how extra weight can cause your arch to drop and how much more pressure it is causing the plantar facia to have more stress on it. One of the biggest things they say is to rest, stay off your feet, and allow the tendon to heal. Well when I'm attempting to lose weight staying off my feet is not an option, it most definitely not an option when I have two children, two dogs and a house to take care of, its almost impossible to stay off my feet when I'm supposed to.

Now it did give other options for working out, swimming is great and my feet feel so much better when I am swimming, but I eventually have to get out of the pool and the pain comes rushing back. Our pool does not have hand rails so should the pain become to sever then there is NO way for me to catch my balance. Lucky for me I'm training for a 2.5 mile swim so I'll be in the pool quite a bit, but I'm not looking forward to crawling out of the pool everyday.

There is another option of biking, again I have to eventually get off the bike and take Bella out of her trailer. Oh yes, the infamous bike trailer, and extra 50-75lbs I have to tow behind my bike. Now I have to use my legs, calf muscles in particular, to peddle this huge contraption.

I am doing everything I'm supposed to do:: ice, stretches, staying off of it, changed my shoes, I am now out of options. I am starting to notice that even just sitting down with my feet up, I get shooting pains in my heel. I can barely get out of bed in the morning because my feet hurt so bad.

Luckily for me I can (hopefully) get some answers on Thursday when I see my PCM.

No comments: